Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's a Girl!

Late spring of 2008 we lost our beloved black lab, Joey. It was a great loss and his companion, Gertie was really down. After some time we felt she needed another friend. We had our mind made up that we were going to adopt another male, black lab and wouldn't settle for anything else. One day we went to a shelter in a neighboring county and thought we had found true love. A very playful pup matching all we were looking for. We were told that he was available for adoption. After leaving to retrieve some information needed, when we returned, we were informed that there had been a mistake and he was already spoken for. He had a sister that they thought we might want to consider. After taking her into the play yard, we didn't feel she was the right fit for our family.

I told my husband that it was probably meant to be, we were going to be moving soon and when the time was right we would find the right companion. About a week and a half later we decided to go to the shelter in our county. When we left my oldest son say bring home a hound. My response was NO hounds!

We arrived at the shelter, much smaller than the other and much more personable. We went to view the dogs available, luckily only about a half dozen. this precious little four month old, black with white, face sat looking at me. I was gone!!! I tried to convince my husband that it was a black lab. I picked up the pup, the pup snuggled up under my chin. Oh my gosh!! I was in love. My husband would just give me that look. The paperwork on the kennel read....female, hound mix. I couldn't believe after telling my son, no hounds, that I fell in love with a hound. I have never had the experience of hounds, what are they like, how are they different from the other dogs we have had. I can't believe after all the strong feelings we had that we wouldn't get any other breed, other than a lab or lab mix, we were swayed with this little cutie...a hound after all. I would look at my husband and all he would say is, she is awfully cute, and she will be trouble. We filled out the paperwork and took her home. Can't imagine what life would be without her in it now. And she and Gertie have created great scrapbook pages.

1 comment:

  1. Love you story of the hunt for your dog. I see you said you would be moving soon. Wondered what that was all about. Sure miss hearing from you or your mom. Take care, Aunt Jeannette

    ReplyDelete